Generation No. 1
1. JACQUES1 GEGENHEIMER He married MARGARET MERE.
Notes for JACQUES GEGENHEIMER:
A farmer from Baden, who came to American in October 1853 - May 1855 alone, at the age of 59.
Brothers August, 16; Carl, 18, Phil. (probably Philip), 21, and their mother, Mere., 58.
According to Joann, the mother was named Margaret.
That leaves the last brother. Listed immediately after the mother and three sons in the Gegenheimers to
America lists are a Jo.(John), 23; and Phillip, 22; both from Baden. I suspect John is the fourth brother, and
that Philipp is a cousin. The two came over in the same time frame, Nov 1857 - Jul 1859, as the mother and
three brothers. Also, a sister stayed in Germany and was never seen in person again. I think I may clear this
up as soon as I can get to the library to check the census in Darke County, OH for 1860/70.
The following was extracted from the 51 volume set, Germans to America, by Ira A. Glazier & P. Wm.
Filby. All the data on GEGENHEIMERS, including a few that had suspect spelling and were probably
GEGENHEIMERS. The latter ones will have their surname spelled out. Also, each volume covers a time
period, and does not give the date of immigration of individual people. The listed data is, from left to right:
Time Period, Given Name, Surname [if spelled differently], Age, Sex, Occupation, and From--To.
NOTE: The estimated birth year has been added
- Jan 1850 - May 1851, Carl, 22, M (male), farmer, Germany--USA (b:1829
- Peter, 26, M, farmer (b:1825 Est)
- The blank data indicates that they came together.
- Jan 1850 - May 1851, Catherine, 26, F, farmer, Baden--USA (b:1825
- May 1851 - Jun 1852, Jacob, 31, M, ????, Wurttemburg--??? (b:1820
- Oct 1853 - May 1855, Jacques, 59, M, farmer, Baden--USA (b:1796
- Jan 1856 - Apr 1857, Frederick Gegmheimer, 22, M, farmer, Baden--USA
- Apr 1857 - Nov 1857, Frederich Gegenheim, 22, M, farmer, Bavaria--USA
- Nov 1857 - Jul 1859, August, 16, M, farmer, Germany--USA (b:1842
- Carl, 18, M, farmer (b:1840 Est)
- Phil., 21, M, farmer (b:1837 Est)
- Mere., 58, F, ???? (b:1800 Est)
- This group is probably the mother and three sons that Joan Rees tells
- Her ancestor is August
- Nov 1857 - Jul 1859, Jo., 23, M, unknown, Baden--USA (b:1835
- Philipp, 22, M, unknown (b:1836 Est)
- Jun 1863 - Oct 1864, George Friedrich, 22, M, ????, unknown--USA (b:1842
- Margaretha, 53, ?, ???? (b:1811 Est)
- Susanna Catherine, 24, ?, ???? (b:1840 Est)
- Nov 1864 - Nov 1865, Madalena Gegenhenirer, 19, F, farmer, Baden--USA
- Jan 1867 - Aug 1867, Anna, 12, F, single, Germany--USA (b:1855
- Aug 1867 - May 1868, Carl, 28, M, ????, Baden--USA (b:1840
- Justine, 24, F, wife (b:1844 Est)
- Justine, infant
- Oct 1871 - Apr 1872, Gottlieb, 48, M, shoemaker, Germany--USA (b:1824
- Dec 1873 - Dec 1874, Justine, 23, F, single, Germany--USA (b:1851
- Oct 1878 - Dec 1879, Martin, 22, M, barber, Hesse--USA (b:1857
- Jan 1880 - Jun 1880, Ludwig, 25, M, miller/baker, Baden--USA (b:1855
- Jul 1880 - Nov 1880, Frederic, 34, M, miner, Germany--NY (b:1846
- Dec 1880 - Apr 1881, Louise, 22, F, single, SW Saxony Weimar Eisenach--USA
- Jun 1881 - Aug 1881, Wilhelm, 17, M, shoemaker, Baden--USA (b:1864
- May 1882 - Aug 1882, Ludwig, 37, M, farmer, Germany--USA (b:1845
- Wilhelm, 26, M, butcher (b:1845 Est)
- May 1882 - Aug 1882, Phil. Gegenhumer, 17, M, butcher, Alsace--OH (b:1865
- Apr 1884 - Jun 1884, Ch. (Charles?), 16, M, ????, Germany--NJ (b:1868
Notes for MARGARET MERE:
Perhaps Mere was a nick name for Margaret
Children of JACQUES GEGENHEIMER and MARGARET MERE are:
i. AUGUST2 GEGENHEIMER.
ii. CARL GEGENHEIMER.
iii. PHILLIP GEGENHEIMER.
iv. JOHN GEGENHEIMER.