1. CHARLES CARL1 GEGENHEIMER was born 6 November 1816, in Baden, Germany. He died 26 Aug 1900. He is buried in Oxford Cemetery in Oxford , Johnson Co. Iowa.
The complete birth and death dates were found on in the cemetery record. The 1880 Census of Oxford, Johnson Co. Iowa listed him as Chas. Gigenheimer age 64, born in Baden , parents also born in Baden. Susan is listed as his wife, age 62 born in Bavaria, parents born in Bavaria.
He married Suzanna Maria “SUSAN” HAHN. She was born, 7 Nov 1818, in Bavaria and died 18 July 1903. Birth and death dates from Oxford Cemetery. Ref: Family trees on Ancestry.com
The family tree on Ancestry.com lists her name as Suzanna M. “Susan” Greur, with no reference to where the name came from. Susan Gengenheimer was found on cemetery record. Mary was listed as her name in the 1850 census, so her middle name is probably Mary or Maria in Germany.
In the 1850 Census, Wilkes-Barre, Luzerne, Pennsylvania, she is listed as Mary with her husband Charles, age 33. She is age 31, born in Germany, with children, Elizabeth age 7 born in Pennsylvania, Henry age 4 born in Pennsylvania.
Didn’t find any more on child, Elizabeth but Henry, according to the Family trees on Ancestry. Com is also buried in the Oxford Cemetery. There he is listed as born, 4 Jul 1847 Pennsylvania, died 3 Jan 1933, married 24 May 1875, Anna Maria (Mary) Grauer born 1847- died 1923.
He came from Germany and I don't go back any further. We do know they gathered to go West with the first Mormons, Joseph Smith. It is believed that he was murdered along the way in, possibly in Illinois. We know the family did stop for a time in Iowa City before all moving on toward Salt Lake area. The Iowa City area was a staging ground for early travel west. Our relatives stopped and turned around in Wyoming as was recalled for were concerned about the hostility against the Mormons. They returned back to Oxford and settled there.
[I haven’t yet found a record that this family were Mormons or came west. I will search some more indexes on this and let you know. I haven't found them in the 1860 census either.]
Children of CHARLES CARL GEGENHEIMER and SUSAN HAHN are:
2. i. CHARLES FRANK2 GEGENHEIMER, b. 1856; d. 1935.
Generation No. 2
- 2. CHARLES FRANK2 GEGENHEIMER (CHARLES CARL1) was born May 1856, in Pennsylvania and died 1935. He married in 1880, ANNA MARIA KLUMP, born May 1859 in Iowa, parents born in Germany. Died 2 Jan 1947 at age 87, in her home at 519 Oakland Ave. Found another newspaper article dated 12 Jan 1939, Iowa City Press- City Citizen , “ Mrs. Charles Gegenheimer of Iowa City, fell breaking fhe hip. She was in the Mercy Hospital at Iowa Hospital at Iowa City. Mrs. Gegenheimer formerly of Oxford is the mother of Mr. Herbert Gegenheimer, west of town.
Found this family in the 1900 census of Oxford Iowa. This census gives birth month and year, how long married, (20 years, and how many children they had (5) and how many living (5).
Children of CHARLES Frank GEGENHEIMER and ANN KLUMP are:
i. GEORGE3 GEGENHEIMER. Born Sep 1884 in Iowa Marred Elsie M. Yenter born 1889, on 13 Mar 1907 in Oxford, Iowa. Her parents are listed in the marriage record as George Yenter and Rosa Bell. Marriage found in Familysearch.org
3. ii. ELSIE GEGENHEIMER. Born 10 Mar 1881 in Oxford, Johnson Co., Iowa Ref: Iowa birth records
4. iii. ARTA GEGENHEIMER. Born Oct 1893 in Iowa
5. iv. WESLEY JACOB GEGENHEIMER, b. July 1882 in Iowa; d. 1933, Oxford, Iowa.
6. v. HERBERT GEGENHEIMER. Born June 1895 in Iowa
Generation No. 3
3. ELSIE3 GEGENHEIMER (CHARLES FRANK2, CHARLES CARL1) She married (1) MOSCOW. She married (2) JOHN ROBERTS. He was born 1877 and married Elsie on the 17 May 1905 Oxford, Iowa. Marriage record lists his parents as Clarence H. Roberts and Matilda Fetrew. Marriage record found in Familysearch.org